When I was last at the cottage, I spent a few hours walking the property bent over, scanning the ground for mushrooms. I began to see wonderful colors and patterns and textures in the wet leaves coating the forest floor. I took a bunch of snaps, here are some of them. I would have done dry leaves too…if it had ever stopped raining.
CLICK ON ONE OF THESE WORDS
ABOUT THIS BLOG . . .
I went on a big walk to Ojibway Nature Reserve Park this morning and couldn’t help snapping of almost 100 more photos of fine fall fungi. Still way behind on identification but I thought I’d post a few more pictures, just to show off some of the variety and beauty of this often overlooked bit […]
Andrea and I found such a riot of mushrooms while tromping through the woods at her cottage that I may be posting about them till spring! I spent some time tonight trying to identify a few more of the many mushrooms we photographed. Surprisingly, some of the hardest to identify are some of the most […]
I have bought a bunch of books to update our library of natural sciences and field guides for the cottage. We have quite a selection already, but many are quite old and not as rich in photos and color plates as the newer ones. I hope that some of you cottage naturalists will use them. […]
Another instalment of the ever popular “poop post”. Here is a photo of some poop found within yards of the edge of the beaver pond. Can you guess what animal might have left it there?
In a moist, loamy corner of New Brunswick, Andrea and Ugo’s cottage is perched on stilts, overlooking a stony, sandy beach. On a misty afternoon, Andrea and I took “the pack” on an adventure walk through the forest surrounding the cottage. As we walked on the soft bedding of the regenerating decay of the forest […]
- COASTAL HIKING JOYMountain and ridge hiking is exciting, challenging and, once you reach the top, awe inspiring. But my favourite hikes on this trip to Oahu have been the costal hikes. Coastal hikes are less strenuous that climbing and that is a … Continue reading →
- UntitledI had such well intentioned plans – every day I was going to hike all day and come home and write a short post about the hike at night. Apparently, the road to hell is paved with good intentions. No … Continue reading →
- A three hour tour…The first item in preplanning of course is the pedicure. Must take those feet from lobster claws to fabulous and make them ready for prime time. I feel sorry for the little Chinese lady who had to toil away over … Continue reading →
- UntitledNo, I haven't fallen down a rabbit hole…after our hair-raising adventures on the way here, you might think that we'd never go out again but we have been all over the island. The problem with getting a post done seems … Continue reading →
- SpectacularOriginally posted on Meanderings: Back in the land where there is electricity and occasional Internet – I can start sending the occasional missive. Ok, it’s was ridiculously, stupendously, awesomely, jaw droppingly beautiful (seriously, there aren’t enough superlatives….. So from now…