When I was last at the cottage, I spent a few hours walking the property bent over, scanning the ground for mushrooms. I began to see wonderful colors and patterns and textures in the wet leaves coating the forest floor. I took a bunch of snaps, here are some of them. I would have done dry leaves too…if it had ever stopped raining.
CLICK ON ONE OF THESE WORDS
ABOUT THIS BLOG . . .
I went on a big walk to Ojibway Nature Reserve Park this morning and couldn’t help snapping of almost 100 more photos of fine fall fungi. Still way behind on identification but I thought I’d post a few more pictures, just to show off some of the variety and beauty of this often overlooked bit […]
Andrea and I found such a riot of mushrooms while tromping through the woods at her cottage that I may be posting about them till spring! I spent some time tonight trying to identify a few more of the many mushrooms we photographed. Surprisingly, some of the hardest to identify are some of the most […]
I have bought a bunch of books to update our library of natural sciences and field guides for the cottage. We have quite a selection already, but many are quite old and not as rich in photos and color plates as the newer ones. I hope that some of you cottage naturalists will use them. […]
Another instalment of the ever popular “poop post”. Here is a photo of some poop found within yards of the edge of the beaver pond. Can you guess what animal might have left it there?
In a moist, loamy corner of New Brunswick, Andrea and Ugo’s cottage is perched on stilts, overlooking a stony, sandy beach. On a misty afternoon, Andrea and I took “the pack” on an adventure walk through the forest surrounding the cottage. As we walked on the soft bedding of the regenerating decay of the forest […]
- SpectacularOriginally posted on Meanderings:Back in the land where there is electricity and occasional Internet – I can start sending the occasional missive. Ok, it’s was ridiculously, stupendously, awesomely, jaw droppingly beautiful (seriously, there aren’t enough superlatives….. So from now…
- Neckboards on sale at the libraryTake an hour on November 12th to drop by the Riverside Library…
- In praise of rusty things…Myths, like art, are attempts to catch a glimpse of undiscovered country. They take everyday existence and transform it into something remarkable. It is through these stories that misfortunes are transformed into adventures, attractions are transformed into everlasting love, and … Continue reading →
- From India to Istanbul to Fredericton – a taste experimentAndrea and I had a wonderful eggplant dish in Istanbul at an indian restaurant named Dubb. Loved it, loved it, loved it! After much searching, we think we may have found the recipe. This blog entry charts our attempt at … Continue reading →
- She’s been around…This baby has been rode hard. Handmade from a skateboard that looks like it has been around the world and back. Think about wearing all that speed and joy around your neck. Think about the stories this Neckboard could tell. … Continue reading →